Detailed description of project Back
Against the backdrop of global challenges such as the effects of the COVID 19 pandemic, geopolitical distress, increasing inflation, fiscal tightening, and climate change, all of which worked as mutually reinforcing shocks and fuelled food and energy crises, this evaluation aims at strategically assessing the EU support which has been provided through external action in the domain of social protection (SP) for the time frame between 2014 until the present day. The evaluation highlights the global need for effective SP structures, tools and systems, particularly in view of the Global Gateway and Team Europe Approaches. More specifically. the objective of this aggregated thematic evaluation of EU development cooperation on social protection is not to provide a project-by-project performance assessment, but rather to reflect the evolution of EU initiatives on SP whilst simultaneously articulating suggestions on how improvements ought to be implemented in the future with regard to EU projects that focus on SP.
The evaluation is structured into four key components:
- Component 1: Provision of a detailed analysis of the core list of 25 selected projects on SP by the EC;
- Component 2: Mapping of EU interventions on SP according to a classification typology by thematic focus, geographical zone, implementing partner, financing instrument, implementation modality;
- Component 3: Assessment of the EU programme portfolio against the evaluation criteria (relevance, efficiency, effectiveness, coherence, impact, sustainability and EU value added, articulated around predefined questions);
- Component 4: Assessment of the implementation modalities of different implementing partners such as UN, WB, ILO, bilateral EUMS agency, and the role played by civil society.
The key objectives of the assessment are:
- Assessment of the coherence between EU projects on SP, as well as between EU programming documents and the social protection portfolio on the one hand, and relevant EU policy frameworks and programming guidelines on the other;
- Evaluation of EU support on SP in forms of policy dialogue and financial assistance in partner countries between 2014 until the present day;
- Provision of conclusions and recommendations at policy -, programming -, and programme implementation level.
Type of services provided
Project structure and deliverables:
- Inception Report: details the final methodology, suggests a proposal for typology, and outlines both evaluation questions and assessment criteria.
- Progress Report: is produced at the end of the field phase and includes data assessment, the criteria for the disaggregation typology, as well as a preliminary analysis of the evaluation findings.
- Final Report: provides a strategic analysis on the logic of intervention of EU support to SP, a typology of EU interventions on SP, a performance assessment of EU SP projects since 2014, as well as recommendations both at policy and operational instrument level on how to improve projects of SP in the future
Main staff provided:
- Team leader / Evaluation Expert (55 w/d);
- Social Protection Expert (55 w/d);
- Evaluation assistant on Social Protection (30 w/d).