Detailed description of project Back
The overall objective of the project of which this contract will be part is to support the Government’s development strategy through the implementation of sound EU development programmes and to foster a more coherent and informed approach to policy dialogue and to development cooperation, political cooperation and trade related issues.
The purpose of this contract is to contribute to efficient and effective programming and implementation of EU funded projects and programmes by the NAO.
Results to be achieved by the Contractor include:
- Result 1: Strengthened capacity of Government and in particular the NAO and the corresponding line ministries, in relation to the smooth implementation of EU funded cooperation;
- Result 2: Timely and effective implementation of the EU funded programmes; more coherent, inclusive and informed approach to development, regional integration and trade issues;
- Result 3: Strengthened technical cooperation and policy dialogue for coordinated and inclusive actions between the EU and the Government of Zambia as well as other stakeholders such as civil society organisations, development banks, Cooperating Partners, private sector etc.;
- Result 4: Enhanced communication and visibility of the partnership between the EU and the Government of Zambia.
Type of services provided
- Assist the NAO in its tasks and responsibilities for the smooth programming, identification and implementation of EU funded programmes and projects in line with the provisions of the Cotonou Agreement It is envisaged that two experienced accountants will be deployed on the project as non-key experts on a long term basis; one for an estimated 80% employment, the other for an estimated 50% employment;
- Support the NAO in all aspects of project cycle management for the implementation of EU funded programmes and projects, including in the preparation and management of service, supply and works tenders as well as calls for proposals;
- Pay particular attention to monitoring for results & results-based evaluation (M&E), including supporting the NAO in the preparation of a M&E Plan of the EU project portfolio. Where necessary, organise monitoring missions and support audits;
- Support the NAO to develop a Management Information System and to maintain the current EDF database;
- Support the NAO to enhance the capacity of line ministries and other relevant authorities to efficiently and effectively identify, plan, supervise and implement EU funded programmes and projects;
- Assess training needs of the NAO Office and other relevant authorities. Define appropriate training and support plans required for a smooth implementation of EU assistance. Areas of trainings could include human resources management, financial and contractual procedures, thematic trainings and the mainstreaming of EU cross-cutting issues (gender, environment, rights-based approach);
- Provide expert advice on policy dialogue and formulation of strategies related in the various thematic areas of EU support;
- Liaise closely with the EU Delegation, line ministries’ focal points and other project beneficiaries and stakeholders. Organise regular meetings and dialogues;
- Support the NAO to develop a dedicated capacity building programme for civil society organisations to enhance their involvement in EDF implementation;
- Support the development and implementation of a communication and visibility action plan in close coordination with the NAO and the EU Delegation;
- Support aid effectiveness and aid coordination efforts by the Government of Zambia.
Main staff provided:
- Team leader (660 w/d);
- Governance Advisor (660 w/d);
- Energy Advisor (660 w/d);
- Finance and Contracts Advisor (660 w/d).