Detailed description of project Back
The National Authorising Officer has overall responsibility for the implementation of EDF programmes. In Ethiopia the National Authorising Officer is the Minister of Finance and Economic Development (MoFED).The responsibility for the day-to-day implementation is delegated by the Minister to the Deputy-National Authorising Officers. One Deputy National Authorising Officer is a State Minister of MoFED, responsible for Cooperation. The other Deputy National Authorising Officer is the Head of the National Authorising Office. The National Authorising Office is the direct interlocutor of the EU Delegation for the daily management of EU-Ethiopia cooperation. As in many ACP countries the question of capacity building for the administration and implementing partners dealing with EU projects and programmes remains a challenge in Ethiopia.
The overall objective of the project is to ensure a timely and effective preparation and implementation of the cooperation activities implemented by the Government of Ethiopia with funding from the European Union.
The purpose of this contract is to strengthen the capacity of the principal stakeholders of the EU-Ethiopia aid cooperation mechanism to timely and effectively manage, implement and coordinate EU external assistance, including by supporting preparation of projects, project proposals, Joint Annual Reports, Aid Effectiveness, Monitoring including JROM, Action Fiche, and preparing vital papers.
Expected results include:
- The capacity of the principal stakeholders of the EU-Ethiopia aid cooperation mechanism is enhanced to fulfil its mandate for achieving the objectives of the projects;
- Support has been provided to better ensure correct application of EDF procedures in the procurement, contracting, accounting and implementation of EDF projects;
- Support has been provided to enhance the efficient management of the EDF programme including through up-to-date records, proactive actions on audits and timely closure of completed commitments and projects;
- Support has been provided in programming for CSP/NIP under EDF 11 including high quality technical inputs in the respective areas;
- Support has been provided to the aid effectiveness agenda in Ethiopia in particular by enhancing coordination and division of labour with EU and EU Member States Funding;
- Support has been provided to enhance the visibility of EDF / EU and ensure a better dissemination of EU-Ethiopia aid cooperation to the general public;
- Ad hoc support has been provided to the principal stakeholders of the EU-Ethiopia aid cooperation mechanism in the preparation of relevant documents such as the JAR, etc.
Type of services provided
The resident expert team consists of 2 senior experts (Team leader, Aid Effectiveness Expert). Core services include:
- Define and implement capacity building activities related to the implementation of EU funded projects and programmes;
- Advise the principal stakeholders on the way to handle administrative and technical project related work. This will include tender dossiers (services, supplies, works, grants), reports and programme estimates;
- In line with the above, conduct a training needs assessment in relation to management of EDF projects and produce a training map;
- Review the functioning of the principal stakeholders and provide recommendations on issues such as filing systems, software, accounting, management systems, monitoring systems, etc.;
- Support the programming exercise for EDF 11 through selected technical inputs;
- Support in enhancing the effectiveness of EU aid by proposing and helping to introduce implementation modalities which are coherent with or make use of the Government’s implementation modalities. Support the implementation of the operational framework for division of labour in Ethiopia for the European Commission, EU Member States and like minded donors;
- Support in enhancing the visibility of EDF / EU support;
- Support for monitoring, including JROM, support for regular qualitative checks, recording, archiving and evaluation;
- Support the timely preparation of Joint documents, such as the JAR.