Detailed description of project Back
The overall objective of this technical assistance is to strengthen the capacity of RETOSA to achieve a shared vision among SADC members in order to grow and develop tourism in the region.
The main purpose of this project is the SADC regional tourism development needs assessment and the definition of a strategic plan.
The results to be achieved are:
- Establishment of a road map and programmes for growing and developing regional tourism;
- Determination of the key role players in Growth and Development of tourism. It is expected that once a Growth and Development Strategy is in place this will guide in the determination of the Programmes and activities which the organization should undertake to grow tourism;
- A detailed needs assessment for improved regional level public-private partnership is completed which has broad ownership in both publicand private sector tourism sector;
- Public-private partnerships (PPPs) and networking between RETOSA and stakeholders are strengthened;
- RETOSA expertise on assessing and serving member needs is improved;
- A medium term strategic plan for the operation and financing of the development of the tourism growth and development strategy is drafted;
- Identification of tourism entrepreneurial initiatives/investmentopportunities;
- RETOSA will have established a clearly formulated strategy for disseminating information and enhancing membership knowledge on new market access.
Type of services provided
- Need Assessment – Identification of the extent of RETOSA’s capacity and knowledge and agreement on objectives, methodology and responsibilities;
- National Tourism Bodies: identification of regional market characteristics and stakeholder institutions that will contribute to achieving the objectives;
- Desk Research – Review available material from RETOSA on the region and country specific, including key regional development projects;
- Data collection – collection and review of information on competitiveness of various regional tourism frontier and corridor resorts and market access;
- Training – provision of technical expertise on how to utilize the information, data and tools in order to enable market access and take advantage of key regional opportunities;
- Participation of RETOSA Research/Marketing staff in the research work;
- Conduct: one day (14) Country validation workshops + one for all SADC members to present findings, review/agree action plan and input into the strategy document;
- Draft Tourism Growth and Development Strategy for submission to the RETOSA Board for approval and implementation.