Detailed description of project Back
The specific purpose of this consultancy is to provide technical assistance and overall guidance to the Government (and various Ministries of Education and institutions under them) through the process of developing a comprehensive Education Sector Plan (ESP) for period 2018-2022. The comprehensive ESP is the key national education policy document, which provides a long-term vision for the education system in the country and outlines a coherent set of practicable strategies to reach its objectives and overcome difficulties.
The objectives of the consultancy are to:
- Provide technical assistance to the Local Education Group (LEG) to conduct a situation analysis of the current education system and develop policy and programme priorities;
- Establish policy priorities, key strategies and design programmes;
- Prepare an ESP for improving access to quality basic education and covering all subsectors of education; ensuring that: (i) all essential features of a credible ESP (guided by overall vision, strategic, holistic, evidence-based, realistic, contextualized and have attention in inequities); and (ii) all the necessary elements of the plan preparation processes are followed (process to be country-led and participatory, and ensure building capacity of various stakeholders in the process);
- Develop an Action (or Implementation/operational) Plan consistent with the policy priorities and programmes of the ESP and drawn up with a medium-term expenditure framework, linked to the national budget process;
- Prepare costs and finance simulation models to ensure financial sustainability of policy options and targets;
- Define implementation arrangements and ensuring necessary capacities for the same; and
- Describe the arrangements for monitoring and evaluating the ESP implementation.
Type of services provided
- Background preparation and Introduction and preliminary discussions with UNICEF Uzbekistan team;
- Visit to Tashkent, Preliminary discussions with Government, Local Education Group and various other stakeholders;
- Finalize draft inception report based on feedback provided by the LEG and UNICEF;
- Review of existing documents and preparation of a Situation Analysis;
- Discussions with LEG and UNICEF on priority areas identified (various workshops);
- Drafting the Education Sector Plan;
- Presentation of draft ESP to LEG and discussions on 3 year Action Plan;
- Finalization of ESP and drafting of Action Plan, implementation arrangements, costing and financing and monitoring and evaluating;
- Presentation of final ESP, draft Action Plan and discussions around costing and financing with LEG through a workshop;
- Finalization of Action Plan, costing and financing plan and M&E Plan;
- Presentation of all finalized documents to LEG.
Main staff provided:
- Team leader/Evaluation Expert (60 w/d);
- Education Finance Expert (20 w/d).