Detailed description of project Back
The overall objective of the project of which this contract is part is to contribute to the implementation of the PNG Government’s poverty alleviation policies while ensuring responsible and sustainable development.
The purposes of this contract are as follows:
- To support the implementation of the PNG Government’s national policy priorities;
- To ensure the efficient and effective implementation of current and future EDF programmes;
- To support the integration of the Aid Effectiveness Agenda into the Official Development Assistance (ODA) implementation modalities in PNG.
The expected results of the Support Programme, which are aligned with the Project Purpose include:
- Result 1.1: Support to the Government of PNG through the EDF is fully aligned with the Government’s development policies;
- Result 1.2: Beyond its formal role under the Cotonou Partnership Agreement, the NAOSU is in a position to contribute to the coordination of Agenda 2030 for Sustainable Development, including the Sustainable Development Goals;
- Result 2.1: The overall capacity of the NAO within the DNPM in development aid planning, management and coordination is enhanced;
- Result 2.2: The efficiency and effectiveness of the design and implementation of EDF programmes are increased and sustained;
- Result 3.1: The DNPM is able to promote intragovernmental policy dialogue on aid effectiveness and the introduction of new aid modalities, e.g. the sector-wide approach, budget support and blending;
- Result 3.2: The DNPM is coordinating Development Partner support and interventions effectively;
- Result 3.3: Progress has been achieved towards PNG satisfying the budget support eligibility criteria.
Type of services provided
- Support the DNPM with policy development and putting in place the framework for monitoring (including baselines) to measure the progress and impact of polices;
- Assist the DNPM to advance localisation of the sustainable development goals (SDGs);
- Strengthening relevant systems and procedures in the NAO-SU and providing training for staff in areas such as EDF procedures and PCM;
- Contributing to next programming cycle and project identification;
- Support for identification, formulation and preparation of 11th EDF projects by drafting suitable ToR and providing broad support for missions; leading a process to review logframes, indicators and monitoring systems in each operational project;
- Assisting in enhancing internal and external information and communication;
- Support the DNPM towards increased effectiveness and efficiency in aid coordination and management;
- Assist the DNPM to improve AID effectiveness; review and annually formulate its Development Cooperation Report;
- Assist the DNPM in developing software for a computerised Development Aid Information System;
- Finalise and implement its PNG Regional Assistance Strategy (PRASt), through which the GoPNG, from its own resources, may provide development assistance to other countries in the Pacific region;
- Assist the DNPM in revising guidelines for the Public (Sector) Investment Programme (PIP), and in advancing needs analyses and resultant implementation activities for PNG to be approved for budget support.
Main staff provided:
- Aid Effectiveness Expert/Team Leader (660 m/d);
- M&E Expert (340 m/d).