Detailed description Back
The overall objective to which this action contributes is to build an education system (Ministry for Education and Higher Education) better equipped and able to deliver quality basic education.
The aim is to participate to ensuring learning continuity under a multiple crisis context through a more resilient education system, able to provide quality, inclusive and safe education for all children per the objectives of the 5-Year general education plan 2021-2025 of the MEHE. This plan is articulated around a main vision and goals, three investment pillars, and priority areas and related program interventions at sub-level of each of the three pillars. This action is expected to make a significant contribution to critical education reforms, policies and strategies that are needed for a more resilient education sector. Through flexible capacity building support to MEHE for improved education sector governance, management and systems, this intervention is expected to be sustained beyond the lifetime of the intervention.
This technical assistance aims at covering pre-primary education (KG age group 3 to 5), primary education (cycle 1, 2 and 3 covering grade 1 to grade 9 for age group 6 to 14), secondary education (grade 10 to 12, covering age group 15 to 18), excluding higher education and TVET.
The articulation of the proposed technical assistance with the 5-Year general education plan 2021-2025 of the MEHE is organised as the following:
- Overall objective of the technical assistance aligned with the general objectives of the 5-Year general education plan;
- Specific objective and outcomes of the technical assistance aligned with the 3 investment pillars of the 5-Year general education plan;
- Outputs of the technical assistance aligned with the priority areas of the 5-Year general education plan;
- Tasks of the technical assistance aligned with the program interventions of the 5-Year general education plan.
The specific objectives of this contract are as follows, requiring short to mid and long term interventions aligned with the three pillars of the 5-Year general education plan of the Ministry of Education and Higher Education (MEHE):
- Outcome 1: enhance the governance capacities of the MEHE in the field of strategic and operational planning, monitoring and reporting, budgeting and public finance management.
- in alignment with the 5-Year general education plan Pillar 1 – Equitable access to and participation in education; Pillar 2 – Improved quality of education and higher learning outcomes to all students and strengthen citizenship; and Pillar 3 – System strengthening & Governance.
- Outcome 2: enhance the capacities of the MEHE for the delivery of quality teaching and learning by management and educational staff empowered with 21st century skills development.
- in alignment with the 5-Year general education plan Pillar 1 – Equitable access to and participation in education; and Pillar 2 – Improved quality of education and higher learning outcomes to all students and strengthen citizenship.
- Outcome 3: enhance the performance of the public education system (MEHE) through improved management and business operating procedures.
- in alignment with the 5-Year general education plan Pillar 2 – Improved quality of education and higher learning outcomes to all students and strengthen citizenship; and Pillar 3 – System strengthening & Governance.
Qualifications and skills:
- Master Degree or equivalent in public policy (social services), development studies or international development as a minimum requirement, or Master Degree or equivalent in education sciences as a preferable requirement. However, in case an expert does not have a Master’s Degree, a relevant Bachelor’s degree in the fields mentioned above is required as well as an additional 5 years of professional experience in education policies;
- Excellent spoken and written English (minimum requirement). Good command of French and Arabic will be an asset (preferable requirements).
General professional experience:
- Minimum requirement of 5 years but preferable requirement of 8 years of experience in support to quality education (curriculum development, training of teachers, contemporary teaching and learning, school improvement plans and school leadership, education system strengthening…).
Specific professional experience:
- Experience in at least two projects in the education sector (of minimum 2 years each) for technical support to quality education projects, programs or policies as a minimum requirement, or 4 projects (of minimum to years each) as a preferable requirement. Extra number of years and projects will be considered as an extra asset;
- Experience of at least 3 years in the field of international cooperation in developing countries as a minimum requirement, and 6 years as a preferable requirement;
- Experience in working directly with a Ministry of Education sector or an education entity will be an asset (preferable requirement);
- Experience in EU development cooperation and/or working with EU-funded project would be an asset (preferable requirement);
- Excellent communication skills.