Detailed description Back
The overall objective of the project of which this contract will be a part is to contribute to a more sustainable management of natural resources and tackling climate change based on Space science and technology applications
- African organisations, policy-makers and practitioners make more effective use of Earth Observation data to develop relevant operational information services at national, regional and continental levels
Qualifications and skills:
- Master’s degree in a domain related to earth observation, earth science, geography, environment, Geographic Information Sciences or related domain or equivalent relevant professional experience (a minimum of 10 years with minimum a license degree, in addition to the required “general professional experience”, can be considered as “equivalent) ;
- Fluent in English and French.
General professional experience:
- Minimum 6 years preferably 12 years of experience in project management;
- Proven track record in leading and supervising multi-disciplinary teams of minimum 5 years, preferably 10 years;
- Experience of minimum 5 years, preferably 10 years in a multi-cultural environment, preferably in Africa.
Specific professional experience:
- Proven experience in programme management (planning, development and implementation) at multi-country, regional or continental level with a specific focus on fostering inter-regional cooperation of minimum 5 years preferably 10 years;
- Minimum 5 years of experience, preferably 10 years in working in a domain related to the programme (earth observation applied to natural resources, water or marine and coastal areas), preferably in Africa;
- Minimum 5 years, preferably 10 years of experience in establishing/maintaining thematic communities of practice / knowledge sharing hub (including data sharing and best practices)
- Minimum 5 years, preferably 10 years of experience related to the application of Earth Observation techniques for environmental monitoring, including the use of various resolutions EO data and preferably Copernicus data and products;
- Proven track record in EO data access mechanisms of minimum 4 years preferably 8 years.
- Minimum 5 year-experience preferably 10 years in Earth Observation capacity development/training.
Other relevant skills:
- Communication- Effective written, oral and presentation skills;
- Negotiation – ability to develop consensus among people with varying points of view;
- Teamwork: Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people of different national and cultural backgrounds with respect of diversity;
- Judgement/decision making- Good judgement initiative, imagination and resourcefulness, energy and tact, ability to ensure an effective work structure to maximize productivity and achieve Unit’s goals;
- Well-developed ICT skills including efficient use of word processing, spreadsheets, email, social media and other important computer applications.