Detailed description Back
To contribute to economic development and sustainable wealth creation through the preservation of Southern Africa’s rich biodiversity in the oceans namely the Benguela Current Large Marine Ecosystem (BCLME), in a way that can support job creation, improved food security and sustainable livelihoods, while preserving and restoring the ecosystems and wildlife that are vital to all.
The Specific objectives are:
- The objective of the assignment is to assist the EU to undertake the identification and formulation of an action supporting the development of the Benguela Current Large Marine Ecosystem (BCLME) in Southern Africa following a sustainable development approach.
General description of the position:
- Expert category: Cat. I (>12 years of experience).
Qualifications and skills required:
- Hold University degrees to Masters level, covering one or more of the following fields: Environmental Sciences (including Marine Biology,…), Wildlife Management, Resource Economics (including Spatial Planning,…), Social Sciences (including Community Based Development)
- Evidence of excellent analytical, writing, and interpersonal skills.
- Competent in the use of word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software.
General professional experience:
- Have at least 8 years field experience in the areas of natural resources management, biodiversity conservation and sustainable livelihoods support, preferably in Southern Africa. • Have experience in designing natural resources management projects, ideally on shared country boundaries.
- Show a demonstrable understanding of the Maritime/Marine Spatial Planning (MSP) concept, and related tools such as Integrated Coastal Zone Management (ICZM), and its application using the ecosystem approach.
- Show a demonstrable understanding of the Community-Based Natural Resources Management (CBNRM) concept and its application using the Rights-based approach.
- Demonstrable experience in planning and execution of programme identification and formulation missions.
- Proven experience in managing projects developing wildlife-based economies/natural capital.
- Knowledge of the use of Ecosystem Based Approaches will be an asset.
Specific professional experience:
- Experience preparing government policy documents, implementation plans, and strategies.
- Experience working in developing countries, ideally in sub-Saharan Africa and preferably in Southern Africa.
- Previous experience and knowledge of EU funded projects and procedures.
- Proficiency in English (oral, written, and comprehension).(Knowledge of Portuguese and Afrikaans is an asset).