Detailed description Back
The overall objective of this assignment is to support the European Union Delegation to Zambia and COMESA in the identification and formulation of a regional initiative to promote and invest in Circular Economy in the ESA region.
The Specific objectives are:
- To undertake a comprehensive scoping analysis of CE activities in selected ESA countries and establish potential interventions from a regional perspective;
- To critically analyse the various existing national and regional policies in selected countries in the region to ascertain their relevance, gaps and recommend strengthening the existing ones based on country assessments;
- To strengthen cooperation between the EU and the ESA region to enhance policy dialogue and exchanges on CE related matters, either through new or existing platforms;
- To design an Action Document for the regional Action to promote and invest in Circular Economy in the ESA region.
General description of the position:
- Expert category: Cat. II (>6 years of experience).
Qualifications and skills required:
- At least a taught Master’s degree (or equivalent), in any of the following subjects: economics, environmental engineering, environmental science, environmental management, geography or sustainability or any other area, which is directly linked to CE. Or, in its absence, at least a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent), in any of the above subjects and three years of additional general professional experience in addition to that specified below (minimum requirement).
General professional experience:
- At least 6 years of professional experience in areas directly related to CE, such as environmental management, sustainable resource management, green economy (including sustainable and resource efficient design, production and consumption), solid waste management, or green private sector development etc. (minimum requirement) preferably in sub Saharan Africa (SSA) (preferred).
Specific professional experience:
- At least 5 years of experience designing, advising or implementing circular economy policies including creating positive economic incentives for their implementation (minimum requirement);
- Experience with at least three project or programme identification or formulation missions for co-operating partners (minimum requirement), preferably with the EU (preferred);
- At least 5 years of experience in regional cooperation and integration at an international level (minimum requirement);
- Experience with donor cooperation financing procedures, modalities and funding mechanisms (minimum requirement), particularly in establishing donor funded grant schemes to the private sector using innovative approaches (i.e. risk-sharing, financial guarantees etc.) (preferred);
- At least 5 years of experience in developing sectoral investment plans linked to the circular or green economy (preferred);
- At least 5 years of experience with multilateral financing mechanisms in the circular or green economy at a global level (preferred);
- At least 5 years of private sector experience in the circular or green economy (preferred);
- Experience with regional value chain development (preferred);
- Experience with the establishment up of donor funded grant schemes to the private sector (preferred);
- Experience in promoting South-South cooperation and peer learning in preferably in the East and Southern Africa (ESA) region (preferred);
- Very good analytical, drafting and facilitation skills (minimum requirement).
- Fluency in both, oral and written English to a C1 level of proficiency, based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages available on: https://www.coe.int/en/web/portfolio/selfassessment-grid which can be demonstrated either by specific qualifications or by past work experience in English (minimum requirement);
- French would be an advantage (preferred).