Detailed description Back
Objectives of the evaluation:
- Systematic and timely evaluation of its programmes and activities is an established priority5 of the European Commission6. The focus of evaluations is on the assessment of achievements, the quality and the results7 of Budget Support programmes in the context of an evolving cooperation policy with an increasing emphasis on result-oriented approaches and the contribution towards the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals.
From this perspective, evaluations should look for evidence of why, whether or how these results are linked to the EU intervention and seek to identify the factors driving or hindering progress.
The main objectives of this evaluation are to provide the relevant services of the European Union and the interested stakeholders with:
- An overall independent assessment of the past performance of the SRC in Integrated Border Management, paying particular attention to its results measured against its expected objectives; and the reasons underpinning such results;
- Key lessons learned, conclusions and related recommendations in programming, design and implementation stages, in order to improve any current and future Budget Support programmes.
In particular, this evaluation aims at assessing:
- to what extent the SRC in IBM has achieved its expected results, notably through contributing to the implementation of the partner government’s national and sector policies and strategies in the field of IBM by providing opportunities for the improvement of national policy processes and policy implementation.
- The evaluation will also pay attention to other aid modalities, in order to assess the complementarity and synergy (or discrepancy) of these modalities with budget support.
- It should also assess the effects of the budget support operation on the M&E systems in the sectors supported by the programme.
- To which degree the sector management processes, structures and tools have been improved (e.g. credible planning, budgeting, M&E, stakeholder consultation, etc.)
The evaluation will take stock of what has been achieved with the main purpose to allow for lessons learnt and recommendations to inform on:
- The conditions under which budget support has an effect (or not) and the possible intensity and nature (positive or negative) of such effect in Serbia in IBM sector;
- Lessons learnt in the programming, design and implementation and their recommendations for potential future budget support operations in Serbia in IBM sector;
- Improvements to be set up by the European Union to maximize the impact of budget support in Serbia and its IBM sector;
- Constraints in government policies, institutional structures and administrative arrangements in Serbia which might impede the effectiveness of Budget Support on spending actions and targeted public policies and reforms.
- The design of the SRC
- The identification of specific policy conditions
- The adequate combination between BS and complementary TA
General description of the position:
- Expert category: Cat. III (>3 years of experience)
- Key Expert 2 will act as a Deputy Team Leader and also perform evaluator tasks
Qualifications and skills required:
- Master Degree in Security studies, Law or similar or Bachelor with professional experience of at least three years (which must be above the general professional experience duration fixed below);
General professional experience:
- At least three years of post-graduate professional experience in management of programmes/policies;
Specific professional experience:
- Experience in at least three evaluations done in relation to Integrated Border management;
- Professional experience in Western Balkans region in at least three projects would be considered as advantage;
- Excellent command of English – both spoken and written.
- Knowledge of Serbian would be considered as advantage.