Detailed description Back
The overall objective of this contract is to contribute to the development and enhancement of the South African government capacities to include gender issues in its policy and programme management cycle at national, provincial and local levels.
The purpose of this assignment is to provide technical assistance to the implementing Government Departments, the National Treasury and the EU Delegation to South Africa in the implementation of the GEWE project’s main components through:
- Support to the Programme Steering Committee and the implementation of the pilot projects funded through programme funds;
- Support to the Government in particular the DWYPD in coordinating all stakeholders within the sector, organising and facilitating sector policy dialogue(s);
- Technical support relating to integration of gender priorities within planning and budgeting instruments, costing, budget analysis, monitoring and evaluation of Government Departments.
The specific objective of this assignment is to provide technical assistance to the South African Government in the following areas:
- Provide technical and secretariat support to the implementation of the GEWE programme, including preparation of PSC meetings, support to the preparation of payment files and ad-hoc capacity building activities aligned with GEWE implementation;
- Establish and inform the monitoring and evaluation framework of the programme, including the implementation of pilot projects funded through programme funds, and including variable Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) (in particular 2 and 3) as articulated in the Finance Agreement;
- Support Government in the overall sectoral coordination for the gender sector bringing together Departments, civil society, private sector, and development partners to ensure concerted efforts towards the attainment of gender equality in South Africa. Support the EU Delegation in facilitating the Gender Development Partner Group;
- Contribute to and facilitate sector policy dialogues. Support would also include provision of expertise (Non-Key Experts (NKEs) as appropriate. Topics for policy dialogue would include but not be limited to gender based planning and budgeting, data disaggregation, the delivery of quality services for women and girls, women’s economic empowerment, and other topics relating to the gender priorities identified above;
- Support the implementation of the GEWE communication and visibility plan, and ensure dissemination of GEWE outcomes, lessons learnt and evidence based information related to Gender Equality and Women Empowerment.
Qualifications and skills:
- Education: at least Master’s degree in the fields of Social Sciences, Gender studies, Human Rights, development studies, economics, law or a related discipline or, in its absence a Bachelor’s Degree with at least fifteen (15) years of equivalent professional experience.
General professional experience:
- A minimum of twelve (12) years’ experience in the areas mentioned above.
Specific professional experience:
- At least one (1) experience in supporting coordination of stakeholders within the gender sector;
- At least two (2) experiences of providing technical support to Government or development partners or civil society organisation in gender responsive budgeting or planning;
- At least two (2) experiences in policy or programme formulation as it relates to gender equality.
Preferred professional experience:
- Experience in providing technical assistance to national, provincial or local governments in South Africa;
- Experience in institutional capacity building for government departments will be an advantage;
- Previous experiences in working with EU funded programmes will be an advantage;
- Previous experiences in working with the South African government will be an advantage.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills;
- Good working knowledge of the standard Microsoft Office suite of programmes.
- Proficiency in English (writing, speaking, reading).