Detailed description Back
The overall objective of this contract is to contribute towards the country's long-term stability, equitable growth, poverty reduction, democratisation, and the rule of law, and to foster an integrated local development approach by strengthening the capacities of relevant actors involved with a view to achieving integrated and gender sensitive development strategies and initiatives.
The purpose of the contract is to provide overarching technical assistance to the beneficiary country, Sierra Leone, for a programme that aims at fostering decentralisation by empowering local authorities as well as local/rural CSOs in selected districts to plan and implement jointly agreed initiatives of service delivery and/or capital investment that respond to the priority needs of communities.
The technical assistance team will also support relevant institutions at the central level of government on building inclusive and participative reform processes.
It will be responsible for developing programme methodology, coordinating the activities of local stakeholders, and for capitalizing on and scaling up local achievements by addressing horizontal policy issues and institutional challenges at all levels.
In compliance with the specific objectives of the Programme, the technical assistance aims to achieve the following:
- Purpose 1: LAs are empowered to fulfil their mandate as per the decentralisation process and implement priority actions consistent with local development plans and foster joint-decision making processes with civil society;
- Purpose 2: Civil society actors, especially youth and women positively contribute to public policy making and service provision, in local rural areas.
Education and Skills
- The key expert should have at least a Master's Degree in Social Sciences, Political Sciences, Management Sciences, Education, Health, or other relevant disciplines or equivalent professional experience of 10 years in service delivery and access to basic services (education, health, WASH);
- Excellent English, written and spoken;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Good facilitation and negotiation skills;
- Excellent skills and experience in drafting papers/proposals, reports, training materials and guidelines;
- Good analytical skills in coordination and networking.
- At least 10 years relevant professional work experience including at policy level in: public sector, NGOs, consultancy, or other international organizations in the Social Sectors, Human Development, Social Development, out of which a minimum of 5 years must be in senior positions.
- Proven experience in coordinating various activities to improve the effective functioning of sectors such as education, health, WASH at a decentralised level;
- Proven experience in integrated inter-sector processes and health mainstreaming in education and development activities (ex. including disease prevention and reproductive health in education; tackling WASH in public places and services);
- Capacity to identify, engage, manage, and evaluate specialist sector experts in Human Development;
- Capacity to build and maintain relationships and negotiate with policy makers at local and central level;
- Experience in modernisation and management of public service delivery in the above sectors will be considered as an asset;
- Proven experience in West Africa will be considered an asset.