Detailed description Back
The overall objective of this contract is to contribute towards the country's long-term stability, equitable growth, poverty reduction, democratisation, and the rule of law, and to foster an integrated local development approach by strengthening the capacities of relevant actors involved with a view to achieving integrated and gender sensitive development strategies and initiatives.
The purpose of the contract is to provide overarching technical assistance to the beneficiary country, Sierra Leone, for a programme that aims at fostering decentralisation by empowering local authorities as well as local/rural CSOs in selected districts to plan and implement jointly agreed initiatives of service delivery and/or capital investment that respond to the priority needs of communities.
The technical assistance team will also support relevant institutions at the central level of government on building inclusive and participative reform processes.
It will be responsible for developing programme methodology, coordinating the activities of local stakeholders, and for capitalizing on and scaling up local achievements by addressing horizontal policy issues and institutional challenges at all levels.
In compliance with the specific objectives of the Programme, the technical assistance aims to achieve the following:
- Purpose 1: LAs are empowered to fulfil their mandate as per the decentralisation process and implement priority actions consistent with local development plans and foster joint-decision making processes with civil society;
- Purpose 2: Civil society actors, especially youth and women positively contribute to public policy making and service provision, in local rural areas.
Education and Skills
- The key expert should have at least a Master's Degree in Public Administration, Management, Public Policy, Development Studies, Economies, Social Sciences or other relevant disciplines or equivalent professional experience of 10 years' experience in similar positions, especially in local governance (institution building, participative planning, coordination and management) public finance (autonomy and accountability), public policies, CSOs;
- Excellent English, written and spoken;
- Excellent communication skills;
- Good facilitation and negotiation skills;
- Excellent skills and experience in drafting papers/proposals, reports, training materials and guidelines;
- Good analytical skills in coordination and networking.
- Proven experience in the field of policy development and coordination, public sector performance, human resources management and development, public financial management systems, service delivery, especially at local level for Decentralised Administrative Units;
- Proven experience and leadership in policy advocacy and policy dialogue;
- Expertise in facilitating the identification of short term experts and managing diverse international teams;
- Ability to coordinate the process of documentation of lessons learnt and reporting on progress being made;
- Proven experience in West African contexts and joint programmes in support to Civil Society and Public Administrations will be regarded as an asset;
- Proven experience in managing EU funded projects is required.