Detailed description Back
The overall objective of the project of which this contract will be a part is strengthened democracy and governance.
The purpose of this contract is to support the beneficiary country, Sierra Leone, with technical assistance to deliver on the following specific objectives of the 11th EDF Action Document "Support to the governance sector in Sierra Leone":
- Support to the electoral cycle: Consolidation of electoral and democratic reforms allowing for improved political dialogue, following elections foreseen for 2018;
- Parliamentary Support: Enhanced legislative process, institutional relevance and effectiveness of Parliament;
- Civil Service Reform: Civil Service institutional capacity is improved, human and financial resources of the civil service and are improved and public service delivery enhanced.
Education and Skills
- At least a Master degree or other post graduate degree in Law, Public Administration, Political Sciences, Social Sciences or related field or as an equivalent first university degree and 3 years more than the minimum years of general experience defined below;
- Excellent inter-personal and communication skills (written and oral);
- Very good report writing skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines;
- Excellent knowledge transfer skills (for capacity building activities).
- At least 8 years of relevant professional experience related to electoral affairs in developing countries;
- Proven experience in capacity building in state institutions;
- Experience of working in Anglophone African countries will be considered an advantage.
- At least 5 years experience in the development and implementation of electoral cycle support programmes including capacity development in electoral management functions, such as support to electoral reforms, strategic and operational planning, management of operations of electoral bodies, institutional development, engagement with civil society, media and political parties;
- Experience in supporting planning and management of large operations of electoral bodies;
- Experience in assisting election management bodies, electoral laws and Rules of Business;
- Experience in the provision of policy advice and technical assistance to the election management body for institutional development;
- Experience in collaboration with a variety of stakeholders (civil society, media, political parties), and in donor coordination;
- Good familiarity with gender issues related to electoral affairs;
- International experience in electoral affairs and exposure to best international electoral practices;
- Knowledge of EU policies and programmes in the area of democratization and governance is an advantage;
- Proven experience with legislative development within election management bodies.