Detailed description Back
The overall objective of the 'Employment Promotion through SMMEs Support Programme for the Republic of South Africa' of which this contract will be a part is as follows:
To support inclusive and sustainable economic growth and employment creation in South Africa in line with the Government of the Republic of South Africa's objectives as described in its National Development Plan, notably to reduce the official unemployment rate from around 25% (2013) to 14% (2020).
The specific objectives/outcomes of the SMMEs Programme are:
- Specific Objective 1: to improve the competitiveness of small, micro and medium enterprises (SMMEs) and their ability to meet procurement requirements of large multinational/local corporations, government and state-owned enterprises;
- Specific Objective 2: to improve access to finance for SMMEs with limited/no access to finance;
- Specific Objective 3: to improve the regulatory and administrative environment for SMMEs.
Qualifications and Skills
- Education equivalent to a Master's Degree in Economics, Trade Development, Development Studies, Public Administration, Business Administration, or other relevant qualification. Alternatively, a Bachelor's Degree (or its equivalent) in any of the above areas, and a minimum 3 years' professional experience relevant to the assignment, in addition to the general professional experience, will be required;
- Good working knowledge of the standard Microsoft Office suite of programmes.
General professional experience
- At least 10 years general professional experience in different value / supply chains with particular focus on SMMEs.
Specific professional experience
- At least 5 years' experience in a role related to planning and supervising the implementation of business development services for SMMEs;
- Experience in value chain development / supplier development particularly focusing on SMMEs, is a clear advantage;
- South African experience and experience in the mining and/or construction value chains a strong advantage;
- Documented / strong experience in dealing with government institutions and agencies, and with large companies, notably in the mining and/or construction sectors in South Africa or Southern Africa, is a strong advantage.