Detailed description Back
The overall objective is to contribute to the alleviation of barriers to education and training, and of unemployment, poverty and inequality in South Africa through enhanced capacity development in promoting educational and economic development, and rising standards of living in line with the priorities of the South African Government.
Therefore, the Department aims to increase access and improve success rates in a cost-effective manner through the use of open learning approaches and through a range of diverse modes of delivery.
The specific objective of this assignment is to provide technical assistance to Department staff in the Directorate: Career Development and Open Learning in:
- Building their knowledge and understanding of the extent and range of open learning approaches, open educational resources, the use of multi-media and materials development processes (electronic, online, open learning), and introducing new developments and practices in the development of electronic, online, open learning materials;
- Developing a materials development model for the Department to adopt;
- Assisting the Department in setting up a unit for materials development; and
- Working with Department curriculum officials, open learning management team, materials developers, media experts, and instructional designers in developing an open learning materials development workflow for the Department.
Education and Skills
- At least Master's Degree level in Education, with skills in a range of open, distance and e-learning materials development, and the design of self-directed learning methodologies suited to online and blended learning;
- Ability to facilitate engaging, effective and productive workshops with professional participants in a multi-cultural environment;
- Excellent spoken and written command of English that is familiar and understood in the South African context.
- A total of at least 12 years' general professional experience.
- Solid application of information and computer technology in teaching and learning, and at least 6 years' experience in working in environments which apply open learning approaches;
- At least 6 years' experience in organisational design and management, involving setting up materials development units, specialising in electronic, online, open learning materials development;
- The expert must also have a working knowledge of the South African post-school education policy and legislative environment.