Detailed description Back
The objective of this consultancy mission is to support the European Union Delegation and the Government of Sierra Leone in the identification and formulation of EU Actions to support Agriculture and rural development in Sierra Leone under the second phase of the 11th EDF (2018 – 2020). These actions should contribute to unlocking the agricultural potential and increasing rural access to market in Sierra Leone, and subsequently contribute to the development of a diversified and commercial agriculture sector that promotes inclusive green economic growth.
The specific objectives of this assignment are:
- Specific objective 1: To develop actions that sustainably contribute to a more productive, diversified, climate resilient, market oriented and equitable agriculture. This further contributes to the creation of the enabling conditions for smallholder farmers in poverty stricken districts to move towards a more sustainable, resilient and productive agriculture;
- Specific objective 2: To develop actions that improve access to markets in targeted rural areas. This component aims to enhance connectivity between production areas and agricultural marketing centres, including removing 'bottlenecks' on the feeder road network;
- Specific objective 3: To develop innovative interventions to support the sustainable commercialisation of Sierra Leone's commercially oriented smallholder farmers through agribusiness partnerships, capacity development and agricultural commercialisation - linking farmers to markets and value chains.
- The candidate must possess at least Master's Degree in Agriculture Engineering or Water resource management or related subjects or a proven track record on working in similar field, with post-graduate qualifications preferred.
General required experience:
- Minimum 10 years' experience with irrigation water management, out of which a minimum of three (3) years must be as an international expert.
Specific required experience:
The candidate must show sufficient evidence where he/she:
- Has good knowledge of agriculture/ irrigation issues;
- Experience with design, development, and operation of irrigation schemes with smallholder farmers;
- Have proven track record in preparation of irrigation masterplans, including formulation of irrigation policies;
- Have proven track record in preparing feasibility reports;
- Has demonstrated experience in sustainable agriculture and livelihoods resilience programming.
- Experience in participatory and community based irrigation management approach is preferred;
- Experience in drafting TOR/business/project proposals is an advantage.
The proposed experts group should have the following profile:
- At least two experts should have good knowledge of the EU environment and development policies; be familiar with the Commission's guidance on Programming and Project Cycle Management;
- At least one member of the team should have previous experience in developing both a Project Identification Fiche and an Action Fiche;
- All experts must be fluent in English. All reporting should be done in English. Excellent written and oral skills are requested of the experts;
- All experts shall follow standard ethics with diligence and high degree of professionalism;
- Experts experience in participatory planning process would be an asset.