Detailed description Back
The objective of this consultancy mission is to support the European Union Delegation and the Government of Sierra Leone in the identification and formulation of EU Actions to support Agriculture and rural development in Sierra Leone under the second phase of the 11th EDF (2018 – 2020). These actions should contribute to unlocking the agricultural potential and increasing rural access to market in Sierra Leone, and subsequently contribute to the development of a diversified and commercial agriculture sector that promotes inclusive green economic growth.
The specific objectives of this assignment are:
- Specific objective 1: To develop actions that sustainably contribute to a more productive, diversified, climate resilient, market oriented and equitable agriculture. This further contributes to the creation of the enabling conditions for smallholder farmers in poverty stricken districts to move towards a more sustainable, resilient and productive agriculture;
- Specific objective 2: To develop actions that improve access to markets in targeted rural areas. This component aims to enhance connectivity between production areas and agricultural marketing centres, including removing 'bottlenecks' on the feeder road network;
- Specific objective 3: To develop innovative interventions to support the sustainable commercialisation of Sierra Leone's commercially oriented smallholder farmers through agribusiness partnerships, capacity development and agricultural commercialisation - linking farmers to markets and value chains.
He/she will be the team leader. The team leader will be responsible for the smooth cohesion, coordination and communication among the team of experts and with the EU Delegation in Sierra Leone. He/she will be the normal representative of the team to be created.
- The candidate must possess a least an advanced university degree in agricultural economics, crop science, agronomy, agricultural marketing, development economics; or related field is required, with post-graduate qualifications preferred.
General required experience:
- Minimum 10 years' experience providing Technical Assistance (TA) in agriculture and/or integrated rural development programming including three or more of these areas: value chain and markets (for a range of value chains including cassava, coffee cocoa, cashew, potato, sorghum, vegetables), crop diversification activities, ecosystems & rural environment, smallholders, farmer groups, agri-extension services, food processing and marketing, public-private partnerships development, food security, improved incomes, climate resilience, the design of projects.
Specific required experience:
The candidate must show sufficient evidence where he/she:
- Has experience with market and livelihood analysis, where s/he has identified target agricultural value chains, designed appropriate interventions and developed an implementation plan;
- Has experience with respect to: development of cooperatives, business development services and marketing; engagement with the private sector and other stakeholders;
- Has a least 5 years of relevant experience in management of projects on any two of the following: value chain development, livelihood diversification, rural business development and agricultural marketing, preferably in an African context;
- Has demonstrated experience in sustainable agriculture and livelihoods resilience programming;
- Shows technical knowledge in strengthening of producer organizations, professional associations and linkages;
- Has a past experience as team leader in EU-funded identification and formulation studies, including providing an Action Document;
- Working experience with key value chain stakeholders (producers, traders, enterprise groups, rural financing institutions/banks, and research/policy associations);
- Demonstrates experience with mainstreaming gender in development programming.
The proposed experts group should have the following profile:
- At least two experts should have good knowledge of the EU environment and development policies; be familiar with the Commission's guidance on Programming and Project Cycle Management;
- At least one member of the team should have previous experience in developing both a Project Identification Fiche and an Action Fiche;
- All experts must be fluent in English. All reporting should be done in English. Excellent written and oral skills are requested of the experts;
- All experts shall follow standard ethics with diligence and high degree of professionalism;
- Experts experience in participatory planning process would be an asset.