Detailed description Back
The overall objective of the project of which this contract will be a part is as follows: To assist the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics in assessing the needs and formulating relevant and feasible twinning project aiming at strengthening the capacities of the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics and supporting the Bureau to enhance and Strengthen the National Statistical System.
The specific objectives of this assignment are:
- SO1: In close consultation with the EU Representative Office (EUREP), the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS), EU Member States, donors (Switzerland, Norway, WB, IMF, UN Agencies, etc.), and other relevant stakeholders, the expert will perform mapping of donor activities, identify the needs and gaps and prioritise a list of activities to undertake in the implementation of National Strategy for the Development of Official Statistics (NSDS) 2018-2022. The needs assessment/identification will take into account achievements by and/or lessons learnt from past, ongoing or planned projects in the field;
- SO2: Formulate a detailed programme design to support the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics in undertaking the identified priorities in support to the PCBS through the "Twinning" EU instrument and in particular to design the Twinning Fiche and related documents in collaboration with the EU office in East Jerusalem, the PCBS and any other relevant stakeholders to be identified.
Where an exhaustive list of the PCBS’ priority areas is as follows:
- Business Register;
- Geographical Information System (GIS);
- Communication and Dissemination Strategies;
- Administrative data;
- Quality Management System mainly (EFQM);
- Agriculture Census;
- Modernization of the National Statistical System;
- SDGs platform (Monitoring and evaluation …);
- Measuring confidence in official statistics;
- Supporting mechanisms for decision making.
Qualifications and skills:
- At least Master's degree (or equivalent) in statistics, economics, finance and related sciences OR at least 2 years of professional experience in addition to the minimum required under General Professional experience.
General professional experience:
- At least 6 years of experience in the statistical sector;
- Experience in institutional capacity development;
- Working experience in the public service or assimilated body is required;
- Proven familiarity with Twinning procedures is required;
- Experience of working in non-EU countries, ideally in countries covered by the European Neighbourhood Policy is an asset.
Specific professional experience:
- Experience in public administration reform would be an advantage;
- Previous experience with the political and socio-economic context of the West Bank and Gaza Strip would be an advantage;
- Previous experience in a development policy environment in fragile or conflict affected regions would be an advantage.
- Fluency in written and spoken English;
- Knowledge of Arabic would be an advantage.
- Good analytical and research skills;
- Cultural sensitivity;
- Communication skills.