Detailed description Back
The main objectives of this evaluation are to provide the relevant services of the European Union, the ACP Group of States, the African Union, the interested stakeholders and the wider public with:
- An overall independent assessment of the past performance of the Erasmus Mundus Action 2, Intra-ACP Academic Mobility Scheme and Edulink I & II Actions, paying particular attention to their results measured against its objectives as well as eventual unexpected results;
- Key lessons and recommendations in order to improve current and future support to the higher education sector;
- An in-depth analysis of the complementarity between the different Actions, the potential.
Systematic and timely evaluation of its programmes and activities is an established priority3 of the European Commission4. The focus of evaluations is on the assessment of achievements, the quality and the results of Actions in the context of an evolving cooperation policy with an increasing emphasis on result-oriented approaches. From this perspective, evaluations should look for evidence of why, whether or how these results are linked to the EU intervention and seek to identify the factors driving or hindering progress.
A team of between 2 and 4 key experts is expected. One member of the evaluation team will be appointed as Team Leader. The minimum requirements of the team of key experts for this contract are as follows.
Minimum requirements of the team:
- Master level degree in a field relevant to the Programmes of this evaluation, or equivalent professional experience;
- Relevant experience directly related to the scope of this evaluation matching the number of years of experience required for the category of experts;
- Advanced knowledge of and experience in the higher education sector in the ACP regions (the different regions within the African continent should be covered, as well as the Caribbean and the Pacific);
- Prior experience of evaluations at international level, including quantitative and qualitative reviews and report writing;
- Familiarity with EU-ACP cooperation;
- The team leader should have prior experience as a team leader of an evaluation team;
- At least one member of the team should have a comprehensive understanding of the overall EU support to (higher) education in developing countries;
- At least one member of the team should be fully conversant with the principles and working methods of project cycle management and EC aid delivery methods;
- A complementary fit of skills/experiences among the members of the team will be considered an asset.
Language skills of the team:
- Full working knowledge of English with excellent writing and editing skills (all the members of the team);
- Full working knowledge of French (at least one member of the team);
- Working knowledge of Portuguese and/or Spanish will be considered an asset.