Detailed description Back
The overall objective of the contract is as follows: “Accelerate partner countries transition towards low-carbon, resource efficient and resilient economies in line with the EU Green Deal, the Paris Agreement, the Sendai Framework on Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR) and the Sustainable Development Goals”.
The purpose of this contract is to deliver high level technical assistance and policy advice at country, regional and global level to support the design, update and implementation of partner countries NDCs, Long Term Strategies (LTSs) and National Adaptation Plans (NAPs) in the context of the Paris Agreement, the Sendai Framework and the 2030 Agenda.
The core team experts shall cover – as a team – at least seven of the following areas of expertise:
- Support to upgrade and implementation of NDCs or long-term (mid-century) low green-house gas emission development strategies;
- Support to the design and implementation of climate adaptation measures, NAPs, nature-based solutions for adaptation and mitigation purposes;
- Technical assistance, advice on climate loss and damage, disaster risk reduction, risk and emergency preparedness, early warning systems, risk assessment and management, and resilience of communities, livelihoods and ecosystems;
- Support to design and implementation of public economic policies (fiscal, monetary, financial, or procurement) contributing to climate mitigation and adaptation objectives;
- Support to design and application of Environmental, social and governance (ESG) measures and standards in the context of sustainable economic development and finance (e.g. EU Taxonomy, disclosures, standards as included in the EU renewed sustainable finance strategy) and the Paris Agreement;
- Advice, technical support and analytical work related to the development of carbon market and non-market mechanisms, carbon market readiness, carbon taxation, Emissions Trading Schemes;
- Analytical work and/or concrete implementation of GHG emissions inventories at sector and national level, monitoring, reporting and verification systems in the context of NDCs;
- Carbon footprint calculations at project and/or product level, methodologies for the Assessment of Project GHG Emissions and Emission Variations;
- Natural capital accounting, valuation for ecosystems services.
Qualifications and skills:
- University degree (Master’s or equivalent) in natural resources management, environment, sustainable development, agronomy, social, political, or economic sciences or relevant, directly related discipline;
- Knowledge of the key international processes and instruments of the international climate change regime. These include, among others, the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change, the Kyoto Agreement, the Paris Agreement and the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction;
- Solid knowledge of EU climate, environment and energy policy;
- A good understanding of the EU development cooperation policy and/or EU Member States financing mechanisms for development and financial regulations governing their budgets;
- Ability to operate in the English language at C2 level for understanding, speaking and writing skills according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages as demonstrated by certificate or by past relevant experience;
- Ability to operate in the French language at C2 level for understanding, speaking and writing skills according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages as demonstrated by certificate or by past relevant experience;
- Ability to operate in Spanish or Portuguese (B2 level) is an asset;
- Advanced IT skills.
General professional experience:
- At least 12 years of professional experience in climate change and sustainable development nexus in the context of international cooperation;
- At least 6 years of professional experience as a team leader.
Specific professional experience:
- At least 4 years of field experience in the areas of climate adaptation and mitigation policies and/or project design and implementation in a developing country;
- Experience in multi-country programmes is an asset;
- Previous experience with EU-funded projects is an asset;
- Training delivery and knowledge sharing experience is an asset;
- Experience in gender mainstreaming related to his/her area of expertise is an asset.